Thursday, August 9, 2012

Melted Cheddar and Apple Sandwich on a Croissant

As I mentioned in one of my last posts (10 days ago!  Too long.  I know...) I spent this past weekend in New York City with my family.  We had such a lovely time exploring the city, spending time together, and sticking out like sore thumbs as tourists from Missouri...especially in such a large group.

In case you didn't notice my unusually long absence it's because I was without internet access in New York.  Of all places to not be connected to the wireless world, right?  The internet wasn't working at the hotel so after one failed attempt I gave up and decided to have a weekend away from the computer.  I'm not saying I was completely shut off from the world but it was nice and so much more simple.  It seemed that it was a reminder that I was there to enjoy time with my family and not there to be putting up blog posts or anything of the sorts.

And because of that simplified weekend away from the computer...it has taken me a few days to get the motivation to get back to it.  So thank you for your patience.

I thought I would go ahead and share this recipe that I've been holding on to because it reminds me so much of fall...and I can't tell you how ready I am for that crisp New England air to start blowing in.  You better believe that within a few short weeks I will be picking my own apples to make this sandwich again.  It's one of my favorite New England activities.

Have you been to New England in the fall?  No?  Well, it's even more beautiful than they say.  You should make your way here this fall.  Or at least go google some pictures.  It will have you wanting an apple pie or a cup of hot tea in no time.


Makes: 2 Sandwiches   Prep Time: 10-15 minutes  Melt Time: 5 minutes   Total Time: 20 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
2 croissants (or bread)
1 apple, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg (optional)
4 thick slices of your favorite cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 250°.  In a medium skillet melt butter over low heat.  Add apple, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Saute for 10-15 minutes or until apples are tender.  Assemble croissant by placing two slices of cheese on each croissant and dividing the apples evenly between the two.  Place the entire sandwich in the oven for approximately 5 minutes to melt the cheese.  Serve/eat immediately and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I need to try this, it sounds incredible. i love apples with cheese. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm me too! They are so perfect together. I want to try the recipe again with a cheese that's a little more "potent"...mmmm!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a great time with your family! As much as I hate to admit it, I am excited for fall too. I just love summer so much though!

    This sandwich looks delicious.. I've never combined cheddar with apples but you have me intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love summer as well! But this year I'm just ready for it. And it hasn't even been excruciatingly hot in Boston...I don't know what's gotten into me! Cheddar and apples...Do it!

      Delete
  3. Yum! Love that you served this on a croissant. :) I'll definitely be making these when the cool weather kicks in. PS. I am so jealous you were in NYC. I went last fall and I loved it! :) I want to go back so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I did! The homemade croissants are like gold around here. I think the guys are actually starting to have withdrawals from not having them in a few weeks. NYC is such an interesting place! So much going on all the time!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...