Thursday, July 26, 2012

July New Eatery: BonMe's Pop Up Picnic

Did you know that I'm obsessed with Food Trucks?  Did you also know that I want to start my own one day?

Well, both are true.  Which explains why 2 out of my 7 "new eatery" posts are centered around food trucks.  But don't worry, it's only a casual obsession.

Back in May I posted about the Greenway Food Truck Festival (which you can read about {here}) but this month is a little different...and yes that's how I'm justifying two food truck posts.  It's all about the justification my friends.  Even if it's not a good one.

This month's post is going to be all about the Pop Up Picnic hosted by BonMe and North by Northeast this past Wednesday on the Greenway.  I originally found out about the event from a new acquaintance who I was supposed to meet there to enjoy the picnic and some lovely conversation about Boston food.  Unfortunately, she became ill and had to pass her ticket on.   Upon learning that I needed a new pal to join my picnic blanket I immediately contacted Ashley from The Uniqueness of Being, knowing that she's always game for a good picnic and some delicious food.

Around 6 Ashley and I began to mosey our way down the gorgeous Rose Kennedy Greenway taking in the beautiful weather and the mouthwatering smells that were undoubtedly coming from the BonMe Food Truck.  As those smells hit our nostrils our stroll became a little less leisurely and something more like a sprint (just kidding, we don't *sprint*).  Upon arriving at the Rings Fountain we were immediately given a picnic blanket and then we anxiously jumped in line to receive our bag of goodies.



Faced with quite the crowd (the best kind of problem to have), the people of BonMe were fast and incredibly friendly!  They've obviously served to the masses a time or two.




While waiting for our picnic *bag* we were given our soup shooters to sip on.


Let the feast begin...


First up the soup shooter.  This thing was screaming summer.  A chilled cucumber watermelon soup with chunks of watermelon, topped with black sesame seeds, and possibly a hint of ginger.


Pleasantly surprised.


The watermelon chunks hiding in the bottom were easily our favorite part.


Next up, the corn.  The corn was chilled and served with some sort of creamy (lime?) sauce, possibly topped with basil, and served over greens.  I should have been able to pick out the distinct flavors but I think the explosion of flavor confused my taste buds.


It was fabulous.  Also, Ashley loves when I take awkward photos of her eating.


Next up, the famous Bahn Mi.  Ashley's Bahn Mi was stuffed with pork from North by Northeast, pickled vegetables, and special sauce.


I had the vegetarian version of Ashley's sandwich.  Switching out the pork for tofu.  And it was delicious.  I've mentioned I love tofu right?


Ashley, this picture is just for you.  You're welcome.  Adorable right?


Taking a moment for the food to settle before moving on to dessert...

 

 And finally the dessert.  BonMe took an already delicious blondie bar and added some crunch with black sesame seeds, which I adored.  It was light, flavorful, and a perfect way to end the picnic.



Overall?  One of the best picnics I've ever had.  Rumor has it this is the first of many Pop Up Picnics to come so be sure to keep your eyes and ears open for the next one so you can join in on the fun!

Also, check out BonMe's website for their schedule, blog, menu, and events!

8 comments:

  1. Your tofu sandwich looks delicious!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who sits cross-legged while wearing a dress, haha! Love that striped dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know, totally inappropriate! I probably shouldn't have put the pictures up but.... :)

      Delete
  2. dying to try their food! wish i knew about this..gotta keep my eye open for other picnics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was WONDERFUL! I think they are planning on having more in the future so keep an eye out! Or follow them on twitter! @bonme

      Delete
  3. i love tofu, too. also i saw your smores cake pop up on my pinterest home feed the other day from a random pinner. you = famous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...